cell phones

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

john

cell phones

Post by john »

Is there any cell phone coverage on the island?
Rich

Post by Rich »

GSM system newly installed around the harbor area and up and down Kings Highway for the most part. It hits other areas but not perfect!
Linda Gallagher

Alltel

Post by Linda Gallagher »

I have Alltel service here at home in Antrim County, and it worked fine on Beaver Island last year, in fact, the phone never quit ringing...had to turn the thing off to enjoy the island.

:-)

Re: cell phones

Post by Guest »

john wrote:Is there any cell phone coverage on the island?
We have Cellular One...didn't work great, but it was better than nothin'.....
Sean McDonough

Post by Sean McDonough »

cingular worked without a hitch. Was great to visit the island again. Family reunion went well Image
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

We have Verizon and it works on most of the Island. But there are glitches at times.
evan

cell phones

Post by evan »

we have cingular and our new digital phone didn't work at all on the east side. our gate phone (which switches between analog and digital) worked where there were towers, but would cut out in the middle of a call mysteriously now and then.

the silly thing even turned itself off once in a while, which is very strange behavior that occurs nowhere else.
evan

Post by guest »

Did you try TDS :?:
evan

cell phones

Post by evan »

forgive my ignorance, what's tds? we have two nokia phones, one gsm only and the other gsm/analog.

aside comment: has anyone seen the huge, presumably bald eagle, nest on the tower just off kings hwy? we were blaming the eaglets' mischief for our intermittent signal. ;-)
evan
jflanagan

Bird on the toweer

Post by jflanagan »

Evan

I believe that is an osprey nest. Although I did see Bald Eagles while on the Island over the last few weeks. Mostly at Font lake but also once on the south end.

I just uploaded a rather grainy picture I took of the Osprey to the Photographs from Our Readers > Photos from our Visitors & Subscribers area

Jim
evan

cell phones

Post by evan »

I stand corrected - I do believe you're right. Ospreys on that tower. We did see a bald eagle flying over Barney's Lake last week.

So what's TDS?
evan