Special Beaver Island Bill Clears Michigan Senate

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Chamber of Commerce

Special Beaver Island Bill Clears Michigan Senate

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

(517) 373-2413

Walker bill to ensure emergency services for Beaver Island

LANSING, Mich.--The state Senate unanimously passed a bill Thursday that would help ensure small air-ambulance operations are able to continue their services on Beaver Island, said sponsor Sen. Howard Walker.

Senate Bill 995 would lower the required insurance coverage for medical transport aircraft for the island to $2 million from the current $10 million minimum.

â??It is estimated that the annual premium these operations pay for the current insurance requirements is more than $50,000. That is too much money,â?￾ said Walker, R-Traverse City. â??This measure would make it more financially viable for them to continue to provide their vital services.â?￾

Beaver Island is served by larger providers and the Coast Guard, but when those services arenâ??t available to transport patients to the mainland, small air-ambulance operations are a critical third line of defense.

SB 995 now heads to the Michigan House of Representatives for further consideration.
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
martin

Post by martin »

May we assume if the Bill passes the house that Island Airways will be able to provide complete and unhindered air ambulance service to Beaver Island? What happens to the money spent on the Colorado consultant? Wasn't that over $8,000? Will we get it back?
martin
DonH

Post by DonH »

Martin: I hate to be negative, but the money is not likely to be returned. Once in a consultant's pocket you can kiss it goodbye. Not sure why they were hired. Does anyone know?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Most importantly, anyone who would hinder this action should be sent to Devils Island! If there is an emergency we need transportation, within reason! I have heard horror stories of people wanting "fairness" when what we need first is access! That can be accomplished down the road! What are people thinking? Thank you Howard Walker for helping push this through and to the negative thinkers, come on!!!
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

The fairness that counts is the fairness to the person suffering the medical emergency.

A person in a life threatening situation should not have to wait for transport to arrive from hundreds of miles away while there is an option that is both willing and able only a few hundred feet away.

Many years ago my Mother-in-law might have died if not for our local air-heroes.

My wife and I are forever greatful to Island Airways and the Welke family.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

My point EXACTLY Jim, this has been a most embarrassing event for this entire community for some very self centered people!!
martin

Post by martin »

Also my point exactly. It was unecessary to hire an consultant to do what the Welke family had been doing all along. Why was it done? To finance someone other than Island Airways? That sure isn't the proper way.
martin
Joey Timsak

Post by Joey Timsak »

During all of my years of living on the Island and working for Island Airways, I got to see first hand how unselfish the Welke family is. They made themselves available at all hours to help those in need, sometimes at no cost. The people that are trying (and have been for years) to ruin a great thing, are those who feel a price tag can be put on a person's life. I hope this issue gets resolved and Island Airways gets the credit and respect they deserve. After all, if we can't help a friend or neighbor, why are we here? Hats off to the Welke family.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Having been a first hand recipient of a midnight emergency run by Welke's service, there are not enough words for the praises they deserve. For as long as I have known Paul, he quietly goes about his business of providing one of the Island's best customer services. Not thousands of welcomes but thousands of thanks to Paul, Angel and their entire staff; you are indeed life savers.

Kirk D. McBride