Another Ken here....

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Becca Ken

Another Ken here....

Post by Becca Ken »

Just wanted to say a quick hello. This is the first time I came across this site - I'm so glad to see that it's active too! Haven't been to the Island since my mom passed (2 years, now...), and my kids beg us every summer to go back. We try to fit it in, but somehow the time just flies by - I guess it does that faster and faster as we get older, huh? I hope everyone is doing good - hope to make it up there later this summer!

I can't remember - is the St. James campsite big enough for a trailer? We have a 25' camper - of course we'd have to bring the generator for electric and water.... We'd like to camp up there, but I just can't remember how much room is out at that campgound... Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Hi Becca,

I'm not sure if you remember me from the days of Sister Marie, but this is Mike Moore. I wish I knew what to tell you about where to camp- I think the Bill Wagner campground (sand bay) is a little bigger. Someone here will give you a link to some sites with more info.

As for me, my wife and I live in Washinton State, and just love it. Just got back from a trip up north, where we saw orcas. Awesome. Makes me think twice about dangling my feet over the dock though...

Best of luck with your trip,
Mike

Post by Guest »

Searching Google I found:

http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=5397

which is for "small" trailers

Couldn't find trailers mentioned elsewhere.

jim

KEN FAMILY

Post by GUEST »

WAS YOUR MOM DORIS?? IF SO, I USED TO PLAY WITH HER AS A LITTLE GIRL WHEN I SPENT SUMMERS ON THE ISLAND.
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

Hey Mike! Funny that you mention Sister Marie, I remember her! I found some Dick and Jane books for my son, and it totally brought back memories of k-3! I saw that you were out that way while I was lurking around the older posts. Glad to see you're doing well! So you're married, any kids in the picture yet?

I'm married, too - I married a cop (who would have thought....). We have 3 kids, ages 12, 10, and 8. They sure do keep us busy!! Devyn (12) plays fastpitch softball on a travel team, plus is playing rec baseball with the boys (kind of cool, something I would've done), plus swims in the swim club. She looks JUST like me - very weird.... Mackenzie (10) plays softball, but it's only 2 nights a week, thank goodness! And Zach is playing baseball 2 nights a week. We live down by Ann Arbor.

Oh, I had a science "student" teacher at Eastern that knew you from the Traverse City area (I think that's where she said...) I can't recall her name (it was a good 6/7 years ago), but I mentioned Beaver Island in class, and she was like, "hey, I know someone from there..." I think she may have played music with you....

Jim - thanks for the link. I'll look into it!

Yes, my mom was Doris. I can't believe 2 years have already gone by since she passed away....it goes by so fast!
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

Hi Becca,

My name is Becky Gerace(LaFreniere). I was surprised to here that you live in Chelsea. My step son lives there with his mom. What school does your twelve year old attend. Andy is 14. This is truly a small world, it would be crazy if the kids know each other.
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

Hey Becky! Devyn is going into 8th grade, and goes to Beach Middle School. Chelsea is a pretty small town - they might know each other....what's his last name? (same as your married name?) She has a few friends that are going into 9th grade at the high school, and knows a few kids in high school that are older siblings to her friends.

How are you, and are you still on the island?
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

Becky - I IM'd Devyn, and she said that she knows an Andy from Middle School, but she doesn't know his last name. She said that he sometimes rides her bus....has an older brother in HS, and that she thinks he moved here in 6th grade.... Think it's the same Andy??
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

Andy's last name is Gerace and he is going into the nineth grade this year. We actually live in the Flint area. Hope all is well with you and your family. Small world isn't it??
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

It really is a small world.... We're going to be in Fenton on the weekend of July 9th and 10th for a softball tournament! Here's my email - lets keep in touch... Trestertribe@netzero.net
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

Well, I don't know if we would be able to meet up with you over that July weekend. I am having my first baby and only have 3 and 1/2 weeks left. I am unsure if I would want to go away from home even though it is not that far. Definitely keep in touch. Take care!
cheriken

hi becca

Post by cheriken »

Hey Becka

Sounds like the family is doing well...My kids are doing fine as well. Were living in Alden. They spent the Fourth with their dad on the island......
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

Hi Cherie,

Everyone is doing great down here - the kids are keeping us busy with all their activities. We're looking forward to the end of July - all the ball games will end - yeah!!! :) We haven't been up to the Island in 2 years, and we miss it! The kids really want to go up there in August, but we already made plans to go to Grand Haven for a week - next year for sure, though! I didn't know Joey was back on the Island, is Jimmy and Johnny still up there, too?
kathleen

Post by kathleen »

Johnny and Jimmy are both living here as well