Interesting Question-Time on the Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Interesting Question-Time on the Island

Post by Gillespie »

Someone asked me this morning who spent the longest time on Beaver Island before going to the mainland. Raises some interesting thoughts. I know my older brother Dan and I were like 6 and 8 the first time our father took us to the mainland but lets have some responses to the first time and people who were here for the longest stretches without leaving! Merry Christmas!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Someone sent me an email yesterday who said that we should start with Richie O'Donnell, they said that he had not been off the island ever until he left to go to the Army at 18 years of age! Come on folks, there have to be dozens of stories like this!
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Interesting question. According to my family sources, my grandfather, Vesty McDonough, was 50 years old before he went to the mainland. John Carmody, about the same. It was not uncommon for the "old timers" to have lived 50 years or more without setting foot on the mainland.
Pam
McGrass
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

50?!!! Now how am I going to top that at MY age? Blast it!