Beaver Island Forum - A PRIVATELY OWNED FORUM!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Beaver Island Forum - A PRIVATELY OWNED FORUM!

Post by Gillespie »

Ok, stop with the emails, I don't know who provoked this! No one wants to shut the forum down. We have been appealing to all of you to use common decency in your posts and claims. This was started to be a common place to share common thoughts but the vitriol has gotten out of control. My interest, first and foremost is in a community, not what any individual claims or feels or thinks they know! It has been stated time and again here that if you cannot be decent don't post. As for the airport committee, largely they are volunteers, if you don't like what they are doing, apply for the position, I can hardly imagine anyone on there enjoying what they are doing. But, they are volunteers and as far as I know and they can walk away if they choose. Who is responsible, the Township Boards! They appoint committee members just like we at the County level appoint committee members. This forum is intended for birth and death announcements, gatherings, meetings, news and yes, public opinion. BUT, when it starts to get "indignant" or when any of you start to think this is a "public" forum, think again. I am a volunteer moderator and I do not believe anyone makes any money from this and to each and every one of you, stop asking or telling me what I need to do! Stop using it! Stop making accusations, send them to the township board. I have been watching what you are complaining about all of my life and my father before me! I know the score and the players and I know the solutions (generally), but I don't think it appropriate to discredit anyone in writing on a privately owned site. If you want to get serious post it to your own blog. I started this forum for feel good things, it is becoming no fun and the assertions that many of you make, that it is the only place to "get the word out", thats just fine but maybe we feel like it is being written on our backs ok! So please, if you want to expand on the airport thing, and I think you have every right, do it somewhere where the blame does not come back to this writer, good or bad! There are definitely questions that need to be answered but I would sooner eliminate the thread than put up with the crap! Thank you!
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Well said, Rich. And thanks for saying it.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Thank you Rich.
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
esteger

A Privately Owned Forum

Post by esteger »

I could not agree more. There are some really bad people who are apparently unwilling to serve the Island, but have no hesitation to criticize those who do.
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Rich you need to read the rules of the forum
Please include your name with your post. We value everyone's right to express their views, but in cases where someone else may be negatively impacted by a post or where the lack of a name causes confusion, anonymous posts may be deleted.
you responded to a post with a person who chooses to hide behind a name.
I sent a message to the other moderator last week but he chose to not respond to me.
This forum needs to go away unless we all play by the rules including the moderators.
Dick, Galen, Ken, and who ever else it;s time to come clean and post your name like the rest of us do and don't hide behind a alias.

MIKE GREEN
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Mike,

The key word is "might". The moderator can delete anonymous posts, he is not obligated to.

We pay nothing to participate in ths forum. It is a FREE service. Rich is the volunteer moderator. He has an unpaid, largely thankless job.

If we don't like a post thread we can choose not to read it. If the forum really upsets us we can vote with our feet.

I'd guess that Rich wrote the rules you refer to and could revise them whenever he wanted. I think he tries to interfere as little as possible in the free flow of posts.

I, for one, really appreciate, enjoy and benefit from the forum.

I do agree with you that the forum should, in some way, require that everyone identify themselves. But, to really enforce that makes running the forum much more difficult and hence possibly harder to maintain.

I also would love a much tighter set of rules regarding negative comments. In a forum like this it is ok to state facts (until the moderator states the topic has run it's course) but it should never be ok to insult people or impugn their motives. You can do that at Danny's or the Shamrock, if you wish.

Rich and I don't always see eye to eye but I appreciate this service and hope it continues for a long time.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
jrunberg

Post by jrunberg »

im with with mike if you dont use your name you should not be
able to post anything or respond why cant the people that dont use there names be taken off
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

For decades I have ragged on Richie for about everything he and I can think of...
Yet, I can not see how anyone can compalin about the service he is providing for us here, on this forum...

Like others, my only "complaint" is, that he allows anonymous cowards to have the same pirvilege as those of us who are willing to back our lousy opinions with our good names....

It is your game Rich... and...speaking only for myself, have all the respect in the World for your efforts...
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Adam Richards

Post by Adam Richards »

I *heart* the Forum.

Thanks to all who make it real:)
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I commend, applaud and personally love this forum you've created. And I heart Richie. Merry Christmas and God love ya.