Internet "Crash"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Internet "Crash"

Post by Rich »

As many of you realize the internet went down today on the island. A new sprinkling system was being installed at the school and the contractor hit it. Several times!! Turns out the line was not buried near deep enough. Rick Buckholz (our trusty phone man) worked very hard to plow in a new-deeper cable and got things back in operation. Thanks Rick!!
PowersACE

Post by PowersACE »

So does that mean I should not trash my new internet based computer system. Since I was forced to install this high tech system that is reliant on the internet it has lead to many frustrating days as today, since our order deadline was 2 pm and the internet wasnt fixed until later in the day many of you may not recieve the items that you requested this week. Thanks for your efforts Rick, as for the contractor that cut the cable I hope you called Miss Dig before you dug!
Rich

Post by Rich »

It's worse than that Jeff, the wire wasn't even 10 inches in the ground and therefore improperly placed. We are not sure who installed it!! It wasn't Rick!
Rick

cable cut

Post by Rick »

Just want to say that there is really no one to blame for this unfortunate incident. The odds were stacked against us. The contractor did call in a miss dig. The cable locator I use was giving erronous readings, after sometime of not being able to find the cable I told the contractor it should be okay to continue being he would only be digging about 8 inches and our cable is usually about 2 foot deep. The cable was shallow and the reason for this was to not cut the old sprinkler system. My locator is now in for calibration. I apologize for the problems this may have caused for all.

Phone Rick

Post by Guest »

thanks for all of your work Rick, it just made for a hard day, and left me thinking that I should consider a system that is not totally reliable on the internet. Your work as always is awesome.