Halloween Carnival

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Party Plan Girl

Halloween Carnival

Post by Party Plan Girl »

Arrrrr, me hearties!

This year's Halloween Carnival 'll hav' a pirate theme!
Be dressin' up like a pirate or be speakin' like a pirate
to be gettin' some extra treasure,
when ye walk the plank...

"Down to Davey Jones Locker!"
October 21, 2011
Peaine Twp. Hall
7:00pm.

Games ~ Prizes ~ Snacks & Treats
& A photo 'op fer children o' ALL ages!

So don' ya be fergettin' yer cameras!

This Monday, Sept. 19th be "International Talk Like a Pirate Day"
so if ye'd like to be practicin' yer pirate lingo, here be some
pointers fer ya, from 'round th' web!

Avast! Don't be fergettin' to be speakin' like a pirate when ye arrive at th' Halloween Carnival, to be gettin' an extra treat!

The basics:

Pirate lingo is rich and complicated, sort of like a good stew. There are several other sites that offer glossaries that are pretty good.
But if you just want a quick fix, a surface gloss, a "pirate patina," if you will, here are the five basic words that you cannot live without. Master them, and you can face Talk Like a Pirate Day with a smile on your face and a parrot on your shoulder, if that's your thing.

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

Advanced pirate lingo; or On beyond â??Aarrr!â?￾

Once you've mastered the basics, you're ready to start expanding your pirate vocabulary. Try these for starters:

Beauty â?? The best possible pirate address for a woman. Always preceded by â??me,â?￾ as in,â??Câ??mere, me beauty,â?￾

Bilge rat â?? The bilge is the lowest level of the ship. Itâ??s loaded with ballast and slimy, reeking water. A bilge rat, then, is a rat that lives in the worst place on the ship. A lot of guy humor involves insulting your buddies to prove your friendship. Itâ??s important that everyone understand you are smarter, more powerful and much luckier than they are. Since bilge rat is a pretty dirty thing to call someone, by all means use it on your friends.

Bung hole â?? Victuals on a ship were stored in wooden casks. The stopper in the barrel is called the bung, and the hole is called the bung hole. Thatâ??s all. It sounds a lot worse, doesnâ??t it? When dinner is served youâ??ll make quite an impression when you say,â??Well, me hearties, letâ??s see what crawled out of the bung hole.â?￾ That statement will be instantly followed by the sound of people putting down their utensils and pushing themselves away from the table. Great! More for you!

Grog â?? An alcoholic drink, usually rum diluted with water, but in this context you could use it to refer to any beverage. Water aboard ship was stored for long periods in slimy wooden barrels, so you can see why rum was added to each sailorâ??s water ration â?? to kill the rancid taste. â?? Drink up, me hearties! And call whatever youâ??re drinking grog if you want to.

Hornpipe â?? Both a single-reeded musical instrument sailors often had aboard ship, and a spirited dance that sailors do.

Lubber â?? (or land lubber) This is the seamanâ??s version of land lover, mangled by typical pirate disregard for elocution. A lubber is someone who does not go to sea, who stays on the land.

Smartly â?? Do something quickly.

Talk Like A Pirate Day is celebrated on September 19. If you're going to dress up like a pirate, nothing will ruin your image more easily than just adding the stereotypical "Arrrrr!" to the end of every sentence. So don't settle for being an imitation pirate, or you'll get labeled a "lubber" in no time. Here's how to be authentic and colorful, like a real swashbuckling pirate or wench o' the sea!

1. Growl - and scowl often. Pirates don't use a cultured, elegant, smooth vocalization - they mutter and growl... A lot.

2. Use pirate lingo. Sounding like a pirate isn't as hard as it seems! There are lots of resources for picking up pirate "lingo," so make use of them (some common terms listed below) in addition to trying to affect a vocal sound.

3. Gesture with your hands frequently. Don't forget that pirates do most of their talking on the deck of a ship - out on the ocean, where wind, waves, and bird calls make it tough to hear. Gesturing often gives you a sense of "being there."

4. Slur your words together. Saying, "The boys and I were out for a lovely day on the water today" sounds like something you'd overhear at a yacht club, not out on the bounding main! Instead, try, "Me 'n' these here scurvy scallywags drug our sorry keesters out t'th'ship'n'had us a grand great adventuaaarrr! We almost had t'keelhaul Mad Connie f'r gettin inter th' grog behind our backs!" Use contractions whenever possible. Be sure to punctuate often with "Arrrr!"

5. Never use "you" or "you're" - ever. Instead, use the piratical form, "yer" or "ya" for all forms of address to others. "Yer a scurvy bilge rat, ya pompous gasbag" or "Here's yer dinner, ya mangy cockroach." Note that you should always endeavor to call the addressee by some insulting name, usually involving an animal.

Join in the fun this September 19 when "X" marks the spot on Talk Like a Pirate Day celebrated worldwide with favorite pirate jokes, sayings, and general cavortin'...

Ahoy! - "Yo!"
Avast! - "Check it out!"
Aye! - "Yes."
Arrr! - "That's right!" (often confused with arrrgh...)
Arrrgh! - "I'm VERY miffed."
It's well known that pirates have been talkin' trash and lootin' treasure for centuries now.

However, it's only been a few years since Oregon natives John Baur and Mark Summers - in what they call a "temporary moment of insanity" - first set sail with the idea of Talk Like A Pirate Day, which is now quickly on its way to becoming one of the most popular celebrations since Halloween.

How to talk like a pirate
Start right away by dropping your "g's" - as in sailin' or drinkin'.

Also avoid any pronunciation of "r's" so that "ever" becomes "e'er", and "never" becomes "ne'er".

If all else fails, begin every other sentence with a scowl and a hearty... "aarrgh."

Pirate Lingo - More spirited pirate talk.

How To Be Speakin' Pirate-Like
Startin' Rules

Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!"
Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'". Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".
Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Ne'er speak in anythin' but the present tense!
Hints an' Tips

If it be helpin', start yer sentence wi' a "Arr, me hearty," in a deep, throaty voice â?? ye'll find that the rest be comin' much easier.
Vocabulary

In which ye'll find words submitted by many pirates o'er the years, an' which comprise a loose piratical dictionary.
Ahoy: Hey!
Avast: Stop!
Aye: Yes
Booty: treasure
Buccaneer: a pirate who be answerin' to no man or blasted government.
By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
Cat o' nine tails: whip for floggin' mutineers
Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
Davy Jones' Locker: the bottom o' the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
Doubloons: pieces of gold...
Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin' when they die.
Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an' plunder.
Gentlemen o' fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
Grog: A pirate's favorite drink.
Jack: a flag or a sailor
Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin' this.
Landlubber: "Land-lover," someone not used to life onboard a ship.
Lass: A woman.
Lily-livered: faint o' heart
Matey: A shipmate or a friend.
Me hearty: a friend or shipmate.
Me: My.
Pieces o' eight: pieces o' silver which can be cut into eights to be givin' small change.
Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud.
Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
Squiffy: a buffoon
Swaggy: a scurvy cur's ship what ye be intendin' to loot!
Swashbucklin': fightin' and carousin' on the high seas!
Sweet trade: the career of piracy
Thar: The opposite of "here."
Walk the plank: this one be bloody obvious.
Wench: a lady, although ye gents not be wantin' to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye.
Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter.

Enjoy! We hope ta be seein' ya at the carnival!
Party Plan Girl

I almost forgot...

At the first Halloween Carnival, we tried to judge costumes but some of the judges didn't understand how to judge. There were many disappointed faces, which bothered me to see and there were a few angry children too. Everyone cannot win.

Last year there was one large prize package for one lucky child and the mother of the winner had expressed to me that she felt that, that was too much for one child to receive. Point taken. This year will have three winners of smaller prize packages. Thank you Tammy, for having the decency and fortitude to share your honest feelings, directly, with me.

Another issue... I try to purchase some better prizes to try and encourage the older children to attend this event and spend time with family and friends. I also like to try and purchase items that will last and give the children lasting memories of their experience.

A few years ago, I was asked to take over the Fourth of July Carnival. I have asthma and other health issues that make this, pretty much, impossible. When I said; "No." I was told that the task paid $800.00. I replied that I could never take money for a children's event. So, how can people be upset that I purchase better prizes, with donation money, and yet, it is in a budget, to pay $800.00 to whoever organizes the Fourth of July Carnival? Why is this accepted and what I do, is not, by some?
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

As always, sending you warm wishes for a fantastic event and a donation which I know you will need and use wisely.
Cheryl :D
Party Plan Girl

Thank you Cheryl. Your kind support and generosity is greatly appreciated.