Bessie Smith (Schooner), U2852, aground, 1 Nov 1873

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

kathemeade

Bessie Smith (Schooner), U2852, aground, 1 Nov 1873

Post by kathemeade »

Does anyone have pictures of the Bessie Smith? Our fireplace mantel is wood taken off her wreck and I want to make plaque with her picture and info on the history of the wreck. A picture of her in the water would be great.

I am not a diver, so I don't imagine i'll be going to retrieve a picture!

Thanks

island# 2408
email: kathemeade@yahoo.com
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Dear Kathe, I know you are an Islander and I am a Non Islander but maybe you should be searching under the name "Betsy Smith" and pull up Ken Bruland's and Jeff Cashman's Beacon pictures. I hope it is all right if I post this as an opinion.
Cheryl
kathemeade

Post by kathemeade »

Thanks Cheryl for the idea. I have seen it spelled both ways. I cut and pasted my tag line fromhttp://greatlakeshistory.homestead.com/files/s.htm

I was confused too, as I have seen it spelled both ways. I think the confusion may be that there is a singer Bessie Smith who produced a song called shipwreck blues...It will certainly be interesting to see how the correct spelling should be!

Jeff and Ken are certainly talented and take beautiful pictures. Tomorrow I will stop by the museum and see if Bill or Jeff Cashman is there, it is always a pleasure to talk with them.

Have a great holiday weekend!
Kathe

This is what is posted on the shipwreck history page:

BESSIE SMITH
Other names : none
Official no. : 2852
Type at loss : schooner-barge, wood
Build info : 1873, Bailey Bros, Toledo
Specs : 201x37x17, 723 t.
Date of loss : 1873, Nov (7)
Place of loss : Beaver Island
Lake : Michigan
Type of loss : storm
Loss of life : none mentioned
Carrying : 1,500 t. iron ore
Detail : Soon after leaving Escanaba, her tow steamer J. KELLEY became disabled, and the SMITH raised her sails and towed the steamer back in. She then struck off on her own, but was overtaken by a storm. Picked up by the steamer ANNIE YOUNG, she soon broke loose and was driven ashore. Wreckers put the largest available pumps aboard to try to pump her out, but to no avail. Owner: Shepherd, Henry & Co. As of the end of the season she was still on the beach.
Usual consort of the steamer J. KELLEY.
Sources : nsp,hgl,wmn,bb,wmhs
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

also might want to talk to Robert Gillespie since he very well might have made your mantel.