need a volunteer?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Beth Croswhite

need a volunteer?

Post by Beth Croswhite »

Beaver Island Community School has created a new graduation requirement. All high school students need to earn volunteer time. If you have a project or event coming up, please contact Beth Croswhite, Counselor, at school, #2744 x303. I will start accumulating a list of volunteer projects for students.

Thank you, Beth
BI Community Center

Post by BI Community Center »

Beth, woo hoo!...look forward to hearing more!

Are there any established parameters/restrictions to "projects or events"?! During certain hours? Parental/school supervision required? "On-going" (say weekly/monthly) tasks with the same individual? Liability requirements?
The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!
Beth Croswhite

volunteer

Post by Beth Croswhite »

Students need to earn a minimum of 7 hours/school year. The work needs to be done outside of class time. We ask that students are not involved in dangerous activities that would involve power tools, knives, weapons, etc. The student will have a timesheet that needs to be completed and signed by an adult supervisor, preferrably not the parent. The volunteer activity can be a one time event or ongoing...depending on the student's committment.

This is a brand new requirement, thus we are still formulating parameters. Please feel free to call me at school and I'll try to answer any questions. Beth