BICGR options

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Shirley

BICGR options

Post by Shirley »

While Rich Scripps mentioned this idea in one of his previous posts, the club is now entertaining the thought of hosting a buffet prior to the BICGR party. The Hilton Hotel put together a list of possible buffet options wherein a separate room off the actual party room (but still connected) would hold whatever foods we select (i.e. various pizzas or chicken dinner, etc.) Then people could pay at the buffet door for their meal, and take their plate back to the party area to eat at their table. The cost for dinner would be $10-$15 depending on the menu selections. Rich wondered whether there would be any interest in having a "dinner music session" to go along with the buffet. For example, dinner/dinner music from 5-7pm, and the regular party from 7-on. That way people can just eat at the hall before the festivities get underway. While we never discussed it, I would think there would be a nominal charge for the music as well. If I understood correctly, the type of music would be substantially different than that played at the party. More of a "listening" session with songs that tell a story, etc. Rich, maybe you could give everyone more of an idea of what to expect/look forward to. (??) Please use this forum to post your feedback as we need to ascertain the level of interest before putting anymore energy/effort into the idea. Thanks again ~
Rich S

Post by Rich S »

I offered this idea at the recent BICGR meeting. It would be as Shirley described, different than what you would hear at the dance party. I guess I am picturing something that would resemble Barry's annual Jack Cull Memorial Concert, where there is an audience that is relatively quiet and engaged in the performance. There are a lot of good songs that can only be heard in this kind of environment, like Two Little Boys, The Heart of Dixie (Nancy Cull heard it last year during a sound check and has been requesting it ever since), and other songs that would tell a story or take the listener away, like an informal concert. A couple other musicians might be interested in adding to the presentation also. This would not be "in your face" or require audience participation, but it would not be background music either.

It would require rehearsal and planning on our part, but I think it is a unique opportunity to bring this annual event to another level and give folks an option to stay at the facility, relax and reunite with old friends, make new ones, and just sit and listen. It would not occupy the whole dinner time window, I would think maybe an hour, with down-time before the dance. Maybe there could also be some tables in the food room for those who only want to visit without the concert ambience.

I don't think the big issue for the club here is the music, but whether or not to provide a dinner. I suggest your feedback be more about this. The club gives a large commitment if they decide to host the dinner.

It seems to me that people have to eat anyway, and a lot of folks currently make a spontaneous decision that hour as to when, where, with whom, etc. With this option, you can plan ahead and know that it is taken care of. The food is good and you don't have to worry about the weather or waiting lines, and you know you will see friends there...

Thanks Shirley - and thanks to the Club for a great party this year!

Rich Scripps
bobclark

songs

Post by bobclark »

is there a date yet?
i have a few songs that I've been trying to get up nerve to play. does anyone have interest in an open mike segment?
bob clark
rockford-(BI)