Fifth Case Of Hantavirus Confirmed In New Mexico

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Batman

Post by Batman »

SANTA FE, N.M. -- A fifth case of Hantavirus has been confirmed in New Mexico. The New Mexico Department of Health says a 59-year-old woman from McKinley County is hospitalized at University Hospital in critical condition with the infection.

Three people have died from Hantavirus in the state this year while a 39-year-old man from McKinley County has recovered from the infection, which is
transmitted through rodents feces, urine and saliva. People usually catch the infection by breathing in dust from areas of rodent infestations
Terry Frysinger

odds on

Post by Terry Frysinger »

There is a better chance of Republicans politicians allowing their rich benefactors to pay their share of taxes than this disease showing up on Beaver Island.
Batman

This is for your information

Post by Batman »

People from Beaver Island do travel! I have also serviced homes on the Island that have been so over run with mice that the stove and other areas in the home were covered with urine and droppings. The smell would knock you over. Those are the things that cause the virus. Once again trying to inform and let others know to keep mice out of their homes.
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

Batman...I agree....people come from all over to Beaver Island plus Beaver Islanders tend to travel the world also!

Thanks for the information!

Diane McDonough
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

hmmm makes me think of spider island... oops, i mean squaw island.
Aren't there postings on some buildings up there - not to enter upon risk of hantavirus?

Isin't there an old story of some building becoming a quarrantine station?

Maybe i'm just daydreaming. No big surprise.