Lasley & Bishop Families from 1800's

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Jean

Lasley & Bishop Families from 1800's

Post by Jean »

My Grandparents Mary Bishop & Samuel Lasley. Hattie McCollick
(spelling?) Sams Mother,Sam Lasley his Dad. Mary's parents are
Matilda & Archie Bishop. There was French Canadian Indian in there somewhere. But Sam died very young and my Dad did not
really know him. Mary was also a waitress at Grand Hotel Mackinaw
Does anyone know anymore about these people? They may have migrated to Charlevoix or Cheboygan area and then Flint,Mi where
some of the Lasley's now live.
Robert

Genealogy

Post by Robert »

Jean, if you check with Bill Cashman at the Beaver Island Historical Society--448-231-2254--or via a message posted on this site, he might be able to help you. As I recall, the BIHS genealogy data base contains a little bit of data on the Lasely's, not much. I seem to recall a reference to them living somewhere near Cross Village after leaving the Island...
Rich

Post by Rich »

Jean, My records indicate that there was a Samuel Lasley listed in the 1830 census. The note also says that he is living in a household with 6 females and 6 males, ages are listed but no names....1840 census shows much the same except that he is living in a houselhold with 27 PEOPLE!!! You have some pretty prolific ancestors!! Ha! That is pretty much it on the entries but there is also an Edmond Lasley (perhaps his son) listed in the 1850 census with a wife Therese and a daughter of the same name that is one year old. He is 27 at this time she is 20.

Post by Guest »

Rich wrote:Jean, My records indicate that there was a Samuel Lasley listed in the 1830 census. The note also says that he is living in a household with 6 females and 6 males, ages are listed but no names....1840 census shows much the same except that he is living in a houselhold with 27 PEOPLE!!! You have some pretty prolific ancestors!! Ha! That is pretty much it on the entries but there is also an Edmond Lasley (perhaps his son) listed in the 1850 census with a wife Therese and a daughter of the same name that is one year old. He is 27 at this time she is 20.
That is his family when they first migrated from Canada and France
He was not even married yet. They lived in apt houses until they could work and start their lives.

Post by Guest »

Looking at Rich's link of the lighthouse info, there was a George Lasley who worked as a lighthouse keeper from 1883 to 1886, the year he died.
cherie

Lasley's

Post by cherie »

Hi Jean, I'm related to some Lasley's that owned some land next to

the Gros Cap Cemetery which was the adjoining burial ground and acient indian settlement. My mother and her parents resided in this Indian settlement which was also owned by the lasley's and later called the Amabale Ance/Anse/Hance settlement. It was also the site of Moran's trading post. Old trail and Portage from W. Moran Bay to E. Moran Bay.

I have a Moran township Sequicentennial Edition dated ( April 1,1844-April 1,1994)book that shows 8 Lasley's and a Bishop who were buried in this ccemtery. If you would like the names I would be more then happy to send them to you.

Cherie Eck (Tebo)
Jim Doran

Samuel Lasley

Post by Jim Doran »

Hello Jean,

This is Jim Doran, a Beaver Island researcher.

Your Samuel is probably a descendant of Edward Lasley and wife Theresa Bennette via his son Samuel. Edward was born 4 Feb. 1825 & died 17 Jul 1896 Beaver Island. Note that Edward appears twice in the 1870 census, once in Inverness, Cheboygan Co., and again in La Croix, Emmet Co. Edward & Theresa were married at Ste. Anne's, Mackinac on December 26, 1848. I have all of the early records on CD for Ste. Anne's Parish, Mackinac.

Samuel Lasley (alt. Laslie) was born July 4, 1863 in Mackinac; he was baptized July 12, 1863 by Fr. Peret, witnesses Hyacinthe Beaudoin & Mary Beaudoin. The baptismal record is from Ste. Anne's Parish, Mackinac.

1850 census - Edward, wife Therese & daughter Therese were living in Mackinac Co., Michigan (Visit 99)
1870 census - An Edward Lasley, age 50, wife Therese & children Lewis, Julie[actually Theresa Julia], Hellen, Edward, Marie, Samuel, age 7, & John were enumerated in Inverness Twp., Cheboygan Co., Michigan
1870 census - An Edward Laslie, age 45, wife Therese & children Louis, Ellen, Edward, Mary, Samuel, age 6, & John were enumerated in La Croix Twp., Emmet Co., Michigan
1880 Census - An Edward Laslie, age 56, wife Theresa & children Samuel & Catherine were enumerated in Beaugrand Twp., Cheboygan Co., Michigan

1900 Census - Samuel Lasley, wife Hattie & children Mary, Edward & Samuel were living in Elk Rapids Twp., Antrim Co., Michigan

Another researcher, Robert Lasley, is reseaching Samuel Sr's son Edward's family, and shows brother Samuel Jr. as being born 27 Apr 1891; died 04 MAR 1919 in Cheboygan Co.. See this link.
http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi ... =I76072150

Jim Doran
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

(note: a few posts have been removed from this thread which wandered way off-topic.)
Joyce B.

Lasley-Bishop

Post by Joyce B. »

Last summer (2004) Edward Norman Lasley Jr. and his wife Eunice came to the B. I. Museum looking for information about Edward Lasley b. 1885. I was told he had lost his left arm and right eye when he was four years old. I later found the information about his Lighthouse service which I mailed to him - also told him the story related to me by Johnny Andy Gallagher about a "Mrs. Lasley" who lived near the Beaver head lighthouse who saved Barney Martin's frozen feet by immersing them in a box of fresh horse manure.
jean

Re: Lasley's

Post by jean »

cherie wrote:Hi Jean, I'm related to some Lasley's that owned some land next to

the Gros Cap Cemetery which was the adjoining burial ground and acient indian settlement. My mother and her parents resided in this Indian settlement which was also owned by the lasley's and later called the Amabale Ance/Anse/Hance settlement. It was also the site of Moran's trading post. Old trail and Portage from W. Moran Bay to E. Moran Bay.

I have a Moran township Sequicentennial Edition dated ( April 1,1844-April 1,1994)book that shows 8 Lasley's and a Bishop who were buried in this ccemtery. If you would like the names I would be more then happy to send them to you.

Cherie Eck (Tebo)
Cheri , I have since found
things out . I have found Mary Bishop and her family the Raisches and parents archie & Matilda from quebec French Canadian Indian. I have so much please send what you have and I can send what I have . How are you related to Lasley's
jean

Re: Lasley-Bishop

Post by jean »

Joyce B. wrote:Last summer (2004) Edward Norman Lasley Jr. and his wife Eunice came to the B. I. Museum looking for information about Edward Lasley b. 1885. I was told he had lost his left arm and right eye when he was four years old. I later found the information about his Lighthouse service which I mailed to him - also told him the story related to me by Johnny Andy Gallagher about a "Mrs. Lasley" who lived near the Beaver head lighthouse who saved Barney Martin's frozen feet by immersing them in a box of fresh horse manure.

Edward norman I have found is my relation Edward and Hattie were my Great Grandparents. This is one of his decendents. also
Edward was a brother to my Grandfather Sam
jean

Re: Samuel Lasley

Post by jean »

Jim Doran wrote:Hello Jean,

This is Jim Doran, a Beaver Island researcher.

Your Samuel is probably a descendant of Edward Lasley and wife Theresa Bennette via his son Samuel. Edward was born 4 Feb. 1825 & died 17 Jul 1896 Beaver Island. Note that Edward appears twice in the 1870 census, once in Inverness, Cheboygan Co., and again in La Croix, Emmet Co. Edward & Theresa were married at Ste. Anne's, Mackinac on December 26, 1848. I have all of the early records on CD for Ste. Anne's Parish, Mackinac.

Samuel Lasley (alt. Laslie) was born July 4, 1863 in Mackinac; he was baptized July 12, 1863 by Fr. Peret, witnesses Hyacinthe Beaudoin & Mary Beaudoin. The baptismal record is from Ste. Anne's Parish, Mackinac.

1850 census - Edward, wife Therese & daughter Therese were living in Mackinac Co., Michigan (Visit 99)
1870 census - An Edward Lasley, age 50, wife Therese & children Lewis, Julie[actually Theresa Julia], Hellen, Edward, Marie, Samuel, age 7, & John were enumerated in Inverness Twp., Cheboygan Co., Michigan
1870 census - An Edward Laslie, age 45, wife Therese & children Louis, Ellen, Edward, Mary, Samuel, age 6, & John were enumerated in La Croix Twp., Emmet Co., Michigan
1880 Census - An Edward Laslie, age 56, wife Theresa & children Samuel & Catherine were enumerated in Beaugrand Twp., Cheboygan Co., Michigan

1900 Census - Samuel Lasley, wife Hattie & children Mary, Edward & Samuel were living in Elk Rapids Twp., Antrim Co., Michigan

Another researcher, Robert Lasley, is reseaching Samuel Sr's son Edward's family, and shows brother Samuel Jr. as being born 27 Apr 1891; died 04 MAR 1919 in Cheboygan Co.. See this link.
http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi ... =I76072150

Jim Doran
Samuel Born 1891 is my Grandfather the other my great grandfather. I have spoken to Robert lasley and sent him a few things from my mothers bible about family. Thank You