Great Party/Ideas for 2006

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Paul/Shirley

Post by Paul/Shirley »

Wow! What a great party at the Hilton Saturday night! The Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids had one of the largest groups ever gathered for a night of fantastic music and great fun! Thanks to everyone who made the party such a huge success, and I encourage those who couldn't come to try to make it next year. Thanks also to all the people/businesses who donated towards the raffles and doorprizes. Brooke Slater won the weekend getaway package, and Gerry Lafreniere won the basket(s) of joy. I'm sure his horn will be blowing all week! The Lafreniere's had a winning streak this year with several other family members winning doorprizes, while the Gatliff's won another lighthouse built by Al Gould. Everyone who attended were winners, though, as a good time was had by all, and the Beaver Island community will benefit directly from the good will displayed. While I could go on and on about all the music and dancing and stories, what I want to do with this post is ask for feedback from those who were there. We realize there were a few glitches with the party, and want to improve in those areas. We already plan to speak to the Hilton about the size of the drinks, as they apparently ran out of the larger cups and started serving in smaller glasses. We also spoke to the bartenders about pouring a good shot. We realize we need to buy more drink chips as we kept running out of them ourselves (believe it or not, we even bought an extra 300 chips this year to avoid that problem!) Guess we'll be going back to the store for more! While it's nice for the Club to make a few dollars to donate back to Beaver Island, one of the original purposes of the party was for everyone to get together and have a good time, which is what we strive for. Should we have more food/munchies? Should we have a dinner buffet before the party? Should we change the set up of the hall? Do we need a bigger dance floor? More tables? etc. etc. Please post your thoughts and observations for us to discuss at our meeting next month. We are also looking for new club members, and would welcome anyone interested in helping us organize and execute this annual event. Next year will be the 40TH party, and we're determined to make our "over the hill" celebration "over the top"! Thanks again and we look forward to your comments ~ Slan'!
Shirley

Attendance

Post by Shirley »

Sorry! Forgot to add that attendance was approximately 262! Thanks again!
mpalmer

party

Post by mpalmer »

Shirley/Paul and the whole BI Club of Grand Rapids Party I for one had such a good time at the party. As you know I am not one for having to good of a time at these functions :lol: I don't know about the food I don"t know if people knew it was tucked away back there but I did see a few at the table when I was heading back for a cocktail.The music was great but of course I could be predjuice as half the band is my family :wink: I found the bartendars very friendly when ever I was up there, yes the glasses did get a little small and found my trips more frequent but oh well. The dance floor at times was not big enough and had a few holes that heels kept getting caught in but was it ever empty?? No Way it was full every dance and oh how I laughed at some of that,some people were really cutting the mustard :lol: So all in all I have no complaints and think you all did a great job!! Keep up the good work..
Mara

Party

Post by Mara »

I am speaking for my sister Leah and myself....WE had a fabulous time. This of course was our first and surely not our last party! I thought that everything was wonderful, the people we met especially. Everywhere we turned, we met someone new! I could suggest a bigger dance floor and also a dinner before, that is always nice, but not necessary. I think people plan accordingly for that anyhow! As for next year, it really needs to be a big hit!!! As for the Hilton, I think the accomodations and hospitality were fine. I think it is an extra + that people could stay at the same location as the party!!! And for those of you I didn't get a chance to meet...Until next year!!!! :lol:

Mara McDonough-Burns

GR Party

Post by GUEST »

I also had a wonderful in spite of the fact that I couldn't kick up my heels this year. The music and singing was fantastic! I loved the new tunes and songs added in since I last heard the band. Hilary's new songs were also great. The dance floor was crowded but the Hilton is such a great venue I think we could live with it. I would like more " finger foods" on the table --chicken drummies, cheese, crackers, veggies, etc. All that partying and dancing takes it's toll.

LINDA WEARN
Rich

Post by Rich »

It was a fantastic party!! Some of the comments I heard were that the band should be at one end of the hall (I know that they were centered in the hall on Wilson years ago because of acoustics but I think the Hilton hall could serve well), the sound was sort of "flat" in the corners. Someone else complained that the Hilton changed the published price of the rooms........I would say they did pretty well since we went a couple days early due to some business in the city but we spent a lot of money in the bar that would never have happened if not for the Beaver Island Party. The BI Club will, I am sure make them aware of that. One of the bartenders said that we would be record holders in the hall if there were records!! Mara mentioned the food thing. The Hilton should offer a buffet for the party (at a reasonable price) instead of chasing people out of there for the excessive cost of dining "in style". Now mind you anyone can dine anywhere they want but that would be a nice add on. Hiltons' "The Bed" program was a nice touch!! They fluffed them up and added down comforters and pillows which were nice. Of course there is Jerry LaFreniere though, who apparently had the feathers flying in his room!! C'mon Jerry, take it easy on that young gal!! But my favorite cousin did win the basket/boat of joy. Safety meeting coming up!! Can't publish the date here til we sample the better items in the boat!! It was a joke when they ran out of glasses and started serving 3 dollar beers in wine glasses. Those poor server people were ready to pull their hair out!! They were constantly under siege! Reminds me of an all Irish cruise a friend was telling me about. This 7 day cruise left out of Ft. Lauderdale with 2000+ Micks on board and they got out 2 days and ran out of whiskey! HA! Anyway, the Beaver Island Club did a great job at their end and, after all, it is a fund raiser for Beaver Island Charities. Of all things I thought the entrance fee was very reasonable and the drinks "fair" if the Beaver Island Club were getting a better cut. Frankly, if you had to pay to go see music that good you would pay a lot more!! I think $15.00 for the gate would be reasonable. Buffet on Sat. would be good, better treatment by Hilton of the Beaver Island Club would be in order, the rates they charge for rooms shouldn't be "adjusted" after they are published. When I have been at the Hilton in the past the smokers actually went outside, even at the risk of making them mad I think that should be continued (yes my wife smokes!!). Again, the Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids always does their best!! With a little support it could be world class, come on Hilton, how about it!!? Shirley, print these letters for their "information"!
Rich S

Post by Rich S »

Fabulous! Thank you everybody for your kind words regarding the music. I have recieved many compliments on the band and rather than my usual "Thank you," I have simply agreed. I don't know what it was - perhaps Glen McDonough's spirit was weaving through us. He certainly was on my mind a lot. But the energy in the room was beautiful, intense and memorable. All my band members (Tom and yes, Mary's family) were tuned in, willing and together. Fabulous!

I have a few ideas for next year's presentation regarding lights and a few other minor things, but I am also wondering about an earlier solo performance - maybe if there is a dinner we could do some kind of dinner show - I don't know. It's a direction I would like to take my music but I am fearful of it too. The Beaver Island crowd would be a great place for me to try. I would appreciate feedback on this. I have a small wealth of obscure songs that would present well with piano or guitar in a quiet, more intimate setting. And then have the party/dance band afterwards... That would be a huge undertaking for the people involved, but now would be the time to think about it. Feedback would be appreciated. You can also email me at rscripps@charter.net.

Thanks again to everyone present. You all make up the spirit that carries the music that carries the party - it is one of my favorite places to be and speaking for all of us in the band, we are honored to be a part of it all.

Rich
Mara

Party Music

Post by Mara »

Oh please forgive me for not commenting on the music in my earlier post!!! I was so impressed with the music!!! I really wish that Allie McDonough, my grandfather, could have joined us that evening to listen and dance to the great tunes!!!!!! He loves that kind of music of course being an Islander himself!!! I know that he had played similar stuff like that before!! The music really set the tone for the evening and I could hear it just fine wherever I was. I was fortunate enough to meet Ed Palmer in the hall way and I was very happy with his performance along with the rest of the band, whom I did not get to meet!!!!!! Oh yea, the only thing is I wish the music could have played longer!!! :D

Mara McDonough-Burns
JulieGillespie

GR party

Post by JulieGillespie »

Great party, kudos to all who worked and planned.

As I mentioned to young Ernie that night, when we have a hall party I like to keep the drink price at least a quarter or something below what you would pay at a public establishment just so folks feel they are getting a discount. Realize that may not be possible when you are using a facility like the hotel. Just a comment.

I thought it was way too dark in there, couldn't see who was there. I'm only 48 I can't believe that my vision is that bad already.

If crowd stays the same, definetely need a bigger dance floor.

Maybe some of the proceeds can go towards the club owning their own speaker system, or maybe moving the band to a different part of the room would help, but unless you were standing in front of the speakers you really couldn't hear the music well or announcements.

Food, who eats :lol: It all smelled great but didn't get a chance to partake of the eats.

I mentioned to Danielle Petrak that I would be willing to take care of your mailing lists.

Once again a great party!!! And I did truly miss Glen McDonough's smiling face, honest to God.
beckyg24

A great time!!

Post by beckyg24 »

Congratulations on an absolutely GREAT party!! I thought that being pregnant I was not going to have a great time, but how wrong I was! I was still able to kick up my heels with that good ole boy Paul Cole. Thanks for wanting to take it easy on me:)

Anyway to your questions, I think that the food you serve works out perfect not too much, not too little. I think what you serve is just right. But I never eat, either I am drinking to much(last year) your dancing too much.

Concerning the drinks, I did hear people discussing the size of the glasses but that was not your fault the Hilton should have done a better job accomodating the party, the Grand Rapids Club pays for the room rental and all the necessaties. I don't know how reasonable it is but I do agree with Julie I think drink prices should be a little less than what you spend at a bar. By the way I agree with the fact that the bartenders do need to learn how to "tip" the bottle a little more.

The music was, of course, top notch. I love hearing true Beaver Island music. My friends that came with us were amazed at the great music that came from such a small band. I, like everyone else missed seeing Glen up there. There should be no changes in that.

The dance floor should be made a little bigger. You all know that us islanders definitely like to kick up our heels, I noticed when we were in our circle we were running out of run on the floor.

All in all, the party was one that will reign as one of the best I have been to. And it has nothing to do with my dad winning the baskets of joy :D

I cannot wait for next year when I can party hard again. I will be there to sell 50/50 tickets and will do an even better job next year when I do not have all the "extra luggage".

You all do a wonderful job putting this evening together and look forward to many more!!!
Shirley

BICGR Meeting

Post by Shirley »

Just wanted to extend an invitation to anyone in the GR area to attend our next meeting on Saturday, March 26th. The meeting will kick off around 7pm and usually goes a couple of hours. If you think you are interested in helping us plan and being part of next year's 40th party, please email me for directions at pstatch@aol.com. Thanks!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

I have to say this was the best Grand Rapids party I've been to and I've been to quite a few. Can't believe that next year will be the 40th. I was at the 1st party with my parents (they didn't have an age limit then and I was barely out of diapers!) 8)

When we first walked in and saw the drink prices, I thought whoa, but this is for the benefit of the island and we don't mind paying a little extra. I did have a problem with the chips though, if Jerry and I were getting a drink at the same time that was 8 chips. No biggie, but how about a different color chip for a beer, mixed drink, etc.

And why not use plastic cups/glasses.

And lastly I just want to say to Richie, you're just jealous the feathers were flying in our room. I can't help it if you shared a room with your kids! :lol:
Linda

GR Party

Post by Linda »

I'm wondering about the drink prices--were they set by the Hilton or by the Beaver Island Club?
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

The Hilton sets a certain price for the drinks, and then we up that price by about a dollar to help cover our costs and raise a little bit of money, with the exception of the pop. They charge us a dollar for pop, and that's what we sell it for. We also wanted to stay with whole dollar amounts to make it easier than having to deal with change. We're finding that the chips seem to create various problems, however, (i.e. running out of them, having a limit, etc. etc.), so the suggestion was made to switch to drink tickets next year. That way we can sell tickets for beer, wine, mixed drinks and pop, or perhaps sell different color tickets for each. There would also be no limit, so people can buy enough tickets for the evening or at least to buy a round at the table. Another suggestion was to move the table for drink tickets closer to the bar (all that walking back and forth was a real buzz killer!). ;-) Many of these issues will be discussed at our next meeting, and I do plan to print this forum out to take to both the meeting AND to the Hilton (good idea, Richie!). Keep in mind we're looking for more club members and appreciate all the feedback we've been receiving. Thanks again for both your interest and support!
Mary E Freundl

Post by Mary E Freundl »

Great party!! Being pregnant myself, I wasn't sure exactly how it would go for me - But it was great fun, and my hub and sister and I enjoyed every moment of it! The only thing that slightly bothered me was the darkness of the room, but it did add to the atmosphere so it was fine! I was really looking forward to attending the next meeting --- (I talked to Diane about it at the party) - But I didn't realize the date was Holy Saturday, Easter Eve. We'll be in Traverse with our family. I'm really bummed about the timing!! Although I definately want to join the club, so hopefully I'll hear some of the evenings' discussion :-)