Misunderstanding About Canceled Celtic Games

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Chamber of Commerce

Misunderstanding About Canceled Celtic Games

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Statement: The Cancellation of the Celtic Games

There has been some misunderstanding concerning who was responsible for the cancellation of the Celtic Games set for September 18. The first games were run by the Historical Society. Then the Chamber ran them for a few years.

In 2009 the Community Center (PABI) assumed responsibility for the Celtic Games from the Chamber of Commerce. The Community Center ran the games in 2009 and was slated to do so this year. The decision to cancel was announced to the public, by the Community Center, in the August 16-23 time frame.

The Chamber of Commerce is disappointed that the games were canceled with only 30 days pre event notice. Had the Chamber been aware of games related financial problems with respect to the event a few months in advance we perhaps would have offered financial help. We received no notification prior to the public announcement of mid-August.

Kathy Speck
President
Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce

Rachel Teague
Vice President

Steve West
Executive Director
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

On behalf of all the athletes â?? 
We respect and agree with the Community Center's decision. There is more to this than what is in this statement though. I will not be discussing it on a public forum as this, however.

Jeremy McBain
Heavy athlete
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

I'm a bit confused with information overload. It seems that everyone agrees that there should be Celtic Games on America's Emerald Isle but someone needs to step up and make it happen. My humble opinion is that the "someone" should be the Chamber. Why the Community Center? They would benefit indirectly from the games but should they be doing the Chamber's business? The games would promote Beaver Island tourism, benefit most businesses and boost the general local economy. If that is not a function of the Chamber then I remain confussed :? .
In reviewing the attached posting (above) from the Chamber, I believe there is an expressed commitment for the future but there was not enough advanced notice to sponsor the 2010 Games.
There has to be more to the story. Is the Chamber actively working to revive the Celtic Games? :? :? :?
Cheryl
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

There have been no discussions of a new Celtic game on Beaver Island with the heavy athletes and the chamber. I do not anticipate there being any future discussions on this matter. Thank you for your past support of the games.

Jeremy McBain
Heavy athlete
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

If there is a desire to continue this fine event, it seems like it should be possible.
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Trish, from most of what I hear and read the Chamber is working to bring the Celtic Games for 2011 back to Beaver Island. :D :D :D
Cheryl
jmcbain2

Post by jmcbain2 »

Not true.
Kathy Speck

Celtic games

Post by Kathy Speck »

In our original September post, the Chamber stated that had we known that the holding of the games was in question we may have offered some financial help to whoever was sponsoring the games. It has not been discussed since then.
At this time, the Chamber is not working to bring back the event. In the future, if we are asked, we may offer support to any group who would want to sponsor the games. We will discuss this at our next meeting, but for now I will state that the Chamber is not involved in this, and I do not anticipate our involvement in sponsorship in the future.
piper

BI Celtic Games

Post by piper »

Perhaps it's time to form an independent Beaver Island Celtic Games committee, composed of business people and those interested in preserving and celebrating Celtic culture.

Such a committee could organize the music, athletics, arts, and other entertainment, solicit sponsors, promote and operate the Games. Start modestly, but dare to "think big." The costs shouldn't be borne entirely by sponsors; some revenue would have to be generated at the gate.

If one examines other Celtic festivals, the potential seems huge.

Beaver Island has an authenticity lacking anywhere else. To not exploit this opportunity seems a shame.
martin

Post by martin »

Check out this festival.

www.celticfestival.org
martin
Mullen Family

Post by Mullen Family »

http://www.almahighlandfestival.com/

The Highland Festival in Alma Michigan is the one I grew up attending. It is a model of how successful the Celtic Festival on the island could be (even though Alma has a Scottish flair). We would love to see the games return! We would be happy to pay to see the competition. Let me drink a pint, eat some great food, listen to some pipe bands and I will be there all weekend. I might even break out my kilt for a parade through town! Add a 5K relay with eating and drinking samples of the finest BI has to offer at the hand off points and you have a landmark event.
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Kathy, that is fantastic news that the Chamber is willing to fund the games. Go Chamber, Go Chamber, Go Chamber :D :D :D
Why did the Chamber stop hosting the games after the first successful years and why does the Chamber not want to host them again :?: :?: :?:
Sounds like there is a lot of interest and support.
Cheryl
martin

Post by martin »

to the babes+2. I think you might have misunderstood where the chamber stands. They are unable to put on the celtic festival on Beaver Island. You might just check out and attend one elsewhere in Michigan. It is unfortunate that the Emerald Isle is not able to have one.
martin
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

I hear what you are saying but I don't understand why :?:
Cheryl
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Got the message loud and clear: "...back off, this is not your concern, mind your own business...", all which may be true but I do question: "There is no data to substantiate that anyone wants the games to return to Beaver Island." :roll:
End of discussion for me :!: :!: :!:
Cheryl