Historic Question

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

CoolPix.L19

Historic Question

Post by CoolPix.L19 »

According to the book I got at the Print shop on one trip it makes reference to a submerged and possibly fossilized forest off the coast in a place known as Point LePar. Would like to know if this exists and where is or was Point LePar? I did some research and the only submerged forest for the Great Lakes is in Lake Huron. Would appreciate and information on this if available
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

BEAVER ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Visit the old Mormon Print Shop museum, or see the nautical exhibits at the Marine Museum. The Protar Home is open when posted. The Museums are opened on request year-around. Large-scale artifacts displayed at Heritage Park (under construction). Museum Week is the third week in July. (231) 448-2254.

http://beaverisland.net/history/

Also: www.BeaverIsland.org

http://www.paradisebaydiveshop.com/

Best wishes from Beaver Island. :D
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
CoolPix.L19

Question Reply and Apology for asking

Post by CoolPix.L19 »

Sorry I asked a question about the Island's history that prompted me to have the chamber of commerce decide to aend all their info on the museums and I have been to them. So I guess I will contact CMU or MSU or find a Geology/Biology Dept. at a University to answer the question I asked about something I found in the Guide Book I got at the Print Shop.

According to the book I got at the Print shop on one trip it makes reference to a submerged and possibly fossilized forest off the coast in a place known as Point LePar. Would like to know if this exists and where is or was Point LePar? I did some research and the only submerged forest for the Great Lakes is in Lake Huron. Would appreciate and information on this if available

BEAVER ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Visit the old Mormon Print Shop museum, or see the nautical exhibits at the Marine Museum. The Protar Home is open when posted. The Museums are opened on request year-around. Large-scale artifacts displayed at Heritage Park (under construction). Museum Week is the third week in July. (231) 448-2254.

http://beaverisland.net/history/

Also: www.BeaverIsland.org

http://www.paradisebaydiveshop.com/
Mullen Family

Post by Mullen Family »

Point LePar, to my knowledge, marks the widest part of the island mid-way down on the east side of the island. I have never heard anything about the fossilized forest. I hope that helps...
JT Cain

Post by JT Cain »

Point La Par is the point that forms the southern end of Sand Bay on the east side of the island. It is a few hundred yards south of the township campground. I have never heard of the petrified forest or seen an indication of same on my depth sounder.
Maureen Abele

Post by Maureen Abele »

There are remains of an ancient forest underwater. Talk to Mike and Gail Weede at the Paradise Bay Dive Shop.
Jane Dwyer

Point LaPar...

Post by Jane Dwyer »

My property is called "Valhalla". My house faces Lake Michigan, right on the point. It is on the East side at the end of Sand Bay. I have also read about the "forest" and contributed the great fishing to the fact that it exists. The local fisherman have their nets in the water beyond the drop off. They have been fishing this area for many years in this fashion. They have remarked that it is not a forest, but many years worth of submerged net stakes! I heard that Mike Weed went down in a scuba adventure to this area but developed technical problems with equipment and had to abort the mission before finding out which theory is correct. Has anyone been down there since?