Lake Michigan in late September?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kris S.

Lake Michigan in late September?

Post by Kris S. »

I'm visiting the island for most of a week starting on 9/27. Wondered what the average water temperature is at that time of year. Would love to do some swimming if it's not too chilly! Thx. :mrgreen:
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Dave P.

Post by Dave P. »

Guessing water temps in the 62-64 degree range at that time,
can you say " burrrr.."
Dave P.
Kris S.

Post by Kris S. »

YIKES. Thanks, Dave. That's a little cooler than mid-August, isn't it?
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

The weekend before Labor Day weekend, the water was about 74 degrees...very comfortable for swimming. Labor Day weekend, the temps had fallen almost 10 degrees. I have a friend who swam in mid October. She loved it, but there is no way most people would.
Hayseeder

Post by Hayseeder »

define normal?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Abby-normal, I have swum most every month of the year, sometimes
not willingly but you have to keep swimming, thats what nature tells us all!
Kris S.

Post by Kris S. »

Thanks, all. If I do brave the much cooler waters in a couple weeks, I will let you know (assuming I live to tell the tale!)